jueves, 17 de marzo de 2016

I am not making enough videos to support my students

From the first article, I found this good advice:

  1. Keep your videos short. Between 5 an 15 minutes.
  2. Don´t assume the kids have internet/devices at home.
  3. Don't lecture if some students don't did their work. 
  4. Keep each students accountable for doing their homework (watching videos) using non tech media (notes) or tech media (mind maps, issue maps, etc.)
  5. Teach the students how to watch their videos.

http://flippedclass.com/five-mistakes-to-avoid/


From the second article (Teachers are learning designers),I think this is what can be useful for me and I have to reflect about it. Sir Ken Robinson said "Teachers are like gardeners". So "We have the power and the duty to create the best conditions for students to flourish".

This article encourage us to design activities.  Then, the writer mention some kind of activities from some platforms and educational association. These activities are concrete and kind of small ones ( LDC unit, an instructional scaffold for a UbD unit, or a assessment for a GBL unit). And also we have to look for opportunities to design, but also to reflect on the current design in our classroom because students and environments are always changing. 
http://www.edutopia.org/blog/teachers-are-learning-designers-andrew-miller


The last video has a list of the common problems founded when you are starting to use flipped learning.
First, we have to teach the students to review materials before class but we have to review that students are interacting with material. We have two options: low tech and high tech. The low tech way can be showed by students with their notes. The Cornell Method is good option to take notes. The second one is the high tech. To use this method we can use Blackboard or some software or services to verify that students are reviewing the material. Some options are: Educanon or zaptionVerso. An app to verify flipped learning videos.
Analytic response: Software like office mix, tech mix and adobe presentations are easy to use. You can use it but you have to pay the license. 
http://flippedclass.com/flipped-learning-toolkit-overcoming-common-hurdles/

So after reading the three articles we have to make a reflect about the three following questions:

  • Do I prioritize concepts used in direct instruction for learners to access on their own?
I am open to include new material or learning activities during the period of class. As an example, In one of my classes, Application design and development for high school, I am including two courses, one from http://appinventor.org (Course in a Box). It has seven tutorials so students can learn the basics the develop their own app inventor for an android device.
I've obtained more material like copy left courses. I really get several sources of informations for students. Even making boards on pinterest or using wikimedia commons.
I have two channels to inform the students: a facebook group and blackboard. They have the same information on both sides, because some students don`t use blackboard and other students don´t use facebook. 

What I don`t do is to make explicit what concepts students must go deeper so they can learn more. 

  • Do I create and/or curate relevant content (typically videos) for my students?
No, I don`t create videos for my students. I use videos from YouTube, InfoQ or Vimeo, but I never have created my own videos. I thing I have to create the first videos so students can make the activities on their own. 

  • Do I differentiate to make content accessible and relevant to all students?
No, I don't. I am giving the same level to all students in my class. After this readings I know now that I have to create different content for different students. Some students look for information on their own while others need more guidance to obtain better results. In fact, after giving instructions on a physical class several students don't completely understand why I am talking about. So they need some material to see again instructions for an activity. The relevant content must be available so students could come back to watch it again. 

Conclusion:
I really use different sources to make richer the courses like: moocs, tutorials, videos, articles. This material must be open so students could access it without any problem. 
But I have to make more material on my own, especially the important concepts that students need to understand or repeat like practices that are not available on the internet. 

As an example, our students are designing a poster for the book day (april, 23). The outcomes that we ask for are: A phrase or slogan, they have tu use six thinking hats to get this. Then they have to review the most common principles of design. Then they have to create 3 physical drafts using the pharse and the principles of design. Then the teacher and other students give them feedback about it. Then, they work again on the second physical draft. And here comes another round of feedback from students and the techar. Now they can create now it digitally on gimp. Everything sounds good, but actually, most of students don`t understand the process even though we created a rubric for this project and most of the activities were performed during class. So after read the articles of this unit I see that is necessary to create digital and repetable content so students could come back to it to see what they have to do.

I think this is a very important reflect about this course. 


Actions:

I have to evaluate this tools to have better options to design learning activities.

  • Educanon or zaption.
  • Verso. An app to verify flipped learning videos. 
  • Techsmith relay
  • Office Mix
  • Adobe Presenter
  • Maybe Google Hangout. http://www.eduhacker.net/technology/google-hangouts-lecture-capture.html






No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario